Friday, May 4, 2012

Reflections

I'm here trying to sleep and I keep thinking about another blog I read earlier today about a baby that died due to SIDS.  That has always terrified me. It got me to thinking about Logan and how I am so happy that he is my son, even with all the challenges he will face in his lifetime.

Thinking of this reminded me of our grocery shopping outing earlier this week. I usually go by myself but this time Andrew and the kids came along. Afterwards, we decided it was really a bad idea because the grocery store was packed.

We decided to divide and conquer. Andrew took Jasmine in a shopping cart and I had Logan in another.  While I was trying to find a certain breakfast cereal, I noticed a family of four, though the two kids were much older than mine. Their boy, who was probably 7 or 8, was staring at Logan. Then he started pointed at him and saying "mom, look at that baby with those things on his ears." I heard the mom reply that it was to help him hear.  That was all fine with me, but then the boy kept pointing and staring and practically shouting about Logan to his parents. 

This really infuriated me, especially because his parents didn't correct his behavior and just let him keep being rude!  I really wanted to tell that boy something, or his parents for that matter, but I was so angry about it that I didn't have anything remotely polite to say.  That was this past Sunday and it still gets to me when I think about it.

I know I will need to get used to this since the staring and comments will be more frequent once Logan gets his implants and has the processor stuck on his head. I just need to think about how I want to handle these situations now before I run into them again.

1 comment:

  1. I am really enjoying your blog and thank you for sharing your journey with your friends and family. this post really pisses me off though. I applaud you for your self control because rude or not I would not have been able to keep my mouth shut. There would have been nothing wrong with you saying, "Can you please explain to your Son pointing and speaking out loud about my son's hearing aid is hurtful and rude. I understand he may not know what it is but can you please tell him that you can explain it to him when he gets home."

    One time when Amelia was about 5 years old she saw an amputee and blurted out something about him not having a leg. I bent over in her ear and told her I will answer all your questions in private please do not say anything else. It was that easy. When we got in the car we talked about it and I told her if she ever notices anything different about anyone she can ask but she has to do it privately.

    Thanks again for being open and honest in your blog. Just call if you ever need me to knock someone out for you, I know taekwondo (ha, ha, just kidding)

    ReplyDelete