Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Cochlear Americas Ambassador Training

So this post is not so much about Logan's progress as it is about what I have been trying to do for him and other children like him.  As you know, I started this blog to document Logan's progress once we knew he'd be receiving cochlear implants and to help spread general awareness about the technology.  I've also started a meetup group for children with hearing loss that was initially for children ages birth to three, but has since been expanded to ten years of age.  In addition, I've done some volunteer work for Cochlear and raised money for Logan's school, Sunshine Cottage.

Last year, our Family participated in the Houston Walk for Hearing 5k event where I met the  Cochlear Awareness Manager for our area named Paula. We exchanged contact information and she put me in contact with some great people locally.  Eventually, I wound up doing some volunteer work for Cochlear, which I really enjoyed.  Then, last month Paula contacted me to ask if I was interested in doing some training on Cochlear Awareness in Denver.  I was thrilled! What better way to help my son and other children with hearing loss than to take the time to absorb as much as I can to help spread awareness?  After talking with Andrew about it, we decided that I should do it.

Houston Walk for Hearing 2012

Within a few weeks, I arrived in Denver and met some really great people who were so inspiring and strong.  Some were Cochlear recipients, and others, like me, were the parents of a cochlear recipient (or two).  We learned so much together and we got to hear each others' stories.  A few of them even had the room in tears. 

It was so exciting to see the Cochlear American offices and I loved how the walls were covered in  pictures and quotes from recipients.  There was even a recipient wall that had thousands of dots representing the number of Cochlear recipients (over 250,000 worldwide).

I wish I had a better picture of this!

The front of the Cochlear office
We spent a lot of time discussing the products, the upcoming products and ways to spread awareness about cochlear implants and hearing loss. I've already had the opportunity to use my increased knowledge to help people with questions!  One thing that was really interesting was a video that they played that demonstrated the lack of knowledge / awareness about what a cochlear implants is. And really, before Logan was born and diagnosed with profound hearing loss, I was one of those people who had never heard of them. This video is only three years old, so I really think if someone went around with the same question today, the results would be similar.


We also had the opportunity to talk and make connections with each other. Cochlear took great care of us and most of our connecting was over some delicious food!  They also planned a really fun evening on Saturday. We painted Red Rocks and sipped wine and had a total blast doing it!



I was sad to have the training end because the people there were awesome, but I am glad to say that I have made some good friends from it and am completely energized to spread more awareness about this wonderful technology.  I've even had the opportunity to visit one of these fabulous people at their home already (more on that soon)!

No comments:

Post a Comment